Learn more about these delicate body parts below:
The foot and ankle are comprised of 28 individual bones.
- 7 Tarsals
- Calcaneus (the heel bone); which is the larges
- Talus (ankle joint)
- Navicular (this has poor circulation so is the most often fractured)
- 3 Cuneiform
- 5 Metarsals (These are referred to as rays)
- 14 Phalanges (these are the bones in the toes)
- (2) Tibia and Fibula of the shin that help form the ankle joint.
The major ligaments in the ankle that are most commonly sprained are located on the outside of the ankle. These are sprained with "inversion sprains".
- Anterior Talofibular Ligament
- Calcaneofibular Ligament
- Posterior Talofibular Ligament
Ligaments on the inside of the ankle. This is sprained with "eversion sprains"
- Deltoid Ligament
Find articles and videos related to your pain:
As the weather begins to warm up in the spring,…Read More
What type of pain are you having?
Or Search here to find articles and videos related to your pain: